Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Shortbread Cookies

So, this summer I'm working a "9-5" office job for the second year in a row. No complaints but when I get home I don't exactly feel like baking something that takes a lot of time. Lastnight I chose shortbread cookies. The easiest recipe for shortbread I might add - 3 ingredients for the actual cookie. But you'll see that later in the recipe. After I rolled out the cookies (with my brand spankin' new rolling pin I got for my birthday!) I realized there was only christmas cookie cutters. BUT I managed to find a pretty good solution, a double shot glass. Circles are pretty boring, but they did the trick. When they came out of the oven they looked pretty blah, so I opted to melt milk chocolate chips and dip the cookies half in. Chocolate makes everything better.

Totally off topic, but I started back to the gym today. I know some people say it grows on you, but I have to disagree. No matter how many times I go I never want to go back. But that's life.



Nanny's Shortbread - Chocolate Dipped

1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
Whatever meltable chocolate you prefer
g
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Microwave butter just until soft. Cream together the butter and icing sugar, use a whisk or fork to avoid lumps. Add 1 cup of flour first and mix. The gradually add 2nd cup of flour, mixing in between. Roll out on floured surface and cut as you want (cookie cutter is best for uniformity). Place on cookie sheet and bake until edges are light brown, tops of cookies will stay pale. This took about 8 minutes in my oven.
When done, allow to cool. Then ice with frosting or dip in chocolate. I chose the chocolate. Melt about half a bag of chocolate chips in microwave and dip cookies in half way. Put dipped cookies on parchment paper and into fridge to allow chocolate to harden.

5 comments:

  1. I so hear you about the gym !..its a necessary evil..so we can eat your cookies! All the baking looks yummy! I wanna put an order in for some nanaimo bars , I will eat the whole pan after I do the Louisbourg Run through time....well I may share ....Its rainy and cool here in Van today , I could use one of those Cookies as a pick me up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When does your uncle get samples!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donald, I will definitely have some nanaimo bars for you when you get home. You'll probably see a post in the near future with those. I've never made them before but I'm going to ! And cant wait for you to get to the cape :)
    Eric, you'll get your samples soon .. what would you like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your are a very creative & talented Young Lady,your blog is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete